General information about MC's Cobras and a tryout signup link.
Cobras - What You Need to Know
Cobra Tryout Schedule
· All tryouts will be held at Murphey Candler park
· 10U- Saturday August 13 12:00 pm
· 12U- Saturday August 20 2:00 pm
· 14U- Saturday August 27 TIME TBD
· 8U- Saturday August 27 TIME TBD
· For 10U, 12U, and 14U pitchers and catchers should plan to stay late
· Every player trying out needs to have a parent attend a mandatory meeting during the first 15 minutes of the tryout.
SINGUP FOR COBRA TRYOUTS HERE: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQnMYFkIh2wzd7VS17FaYbywJn39nMv2HirlWYmOYEiabo_g/viewform
Our recreational league is an excellent place for softball players of all different levels, from first time players looking to learn, to girls coming back season after season to enjoy the sport. Cobras is an additional softball opportunity at our park that does not interfere with rec league participation.
The purpose of the Murphey Candler Cobras is to provide a higher level of competition to players in our recreational leagues who show an above average level of skill, desire, and passion for the game. During this Fall season MCGSA plans to offer Cobras teams for 8U, 10U, 12U, and 14U (and older if there is interest). If there are enough qualified and interested players and coaches in a given age group, more than one team in that age group will be offered.
Playing on a Cobras team requires a significant commitment by players and their families. The commitment is well worth it, though.
Important notes about playing on a Cobras team:
· The Cobras’ teams are Recreational-Select teams. This means that there are tryouts and some players who tryout might not be selected for a Cobras team.
· Cobras coaches are chosen from volunteer parents of the players that make the team.
· Teams are selected each season based on performance in Cobras tryouts, along with rec evaluations and assessments from prior seasons’ coaches.
· Previous participation on a Cobras team is not a guarantee of inclusion on a team for the current season.
· Rotation between positions and allocation of playing time in Cobras might not be as equitable as it is in Rec league play.
· Anyone participating in the MCGSA Fall rec program in 8U, 10U, and 12U can try out for Cobras. For players in the 14U age group, participation in the MSCGA Fall rec program is not required. If there is sufficient interest in a 16U Cobra team, we will also schedule a separate 16U tryout.
· Everyone participating in a Cobras tryout has an equal chance to make a given Cobras team. Players trying out are not grouped by ability or prior Cobras experience.
· Players who are ‘playing down’ to a younger age league are not eligible to play for a Cobras team in that league.
Fall Cobra team selection will occur in Mid through Late August; there will be teams selected for 8u, 10u, 12u and 14u (and older if there is interest). Depending on how many players sign up for tryouts, there may be multiple teams for each age group. Practices will start shortly after the teams are selected, with practices normally held on Saturdays during rec season. Some Cobras teams may also opt to play in one or more one-day travel tournaments during rec season; these tournaments would not conflict with any Fall rec league events.
Additional Tryout Information
· It is strongly recommended that players wishing to be selected for a Cobras team attend tryouts.
· Teams are selected each season based primarily on performance in Cobras tryouts along with rec evaluations and assessments from prior seasons’ coaches.
· Trying out for a Cobra team is an indication that the player and family are willing to commit to attending the additional practices and tournaments.
· Tryouts will be held shortly after practices start for a given season.
· Registration fees for participation on a Cobras team are collected in addition to fees already collected for participation in the rec league.
· Cobra registration fees this fall will be $65 and cover insurance, field use, equipment any scrimmage costs. Uniforms will be an additional cost that will vary based on team/ coach uniform preferences. Tournament fees will be an additional cost as well.
If you are interested in coaching a Cobra team, or if you have any questions, please contact Brennan Bair email@example.com